Ever tried to call the California Franchise Tax Board about an issue with your tax return or an inaccurate notice that was sent to you?
I’m going to guess it wasn’t a pleasant experience. While the staff that answers the phone are always helpful, there just don’t seem to be enough of them.
Over the years I’ve had to call the California Franchise Tax Board numerous times to resolve issues for our clients, and I’d love to teach you how I have been able to talk to a real human at the California Franchise Tax Board without waiting on hold forever.
When to call
The California Franchise Tax Board representatives are available from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday in your respective time zone.
Make sure you’re prepared
Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
- Your Social Security Number
- A copy of your most recent tax return.
- Any letters or notices the California Franchise Tax Board has sent you
How do you speak to a live person at the California Franchise Tax Board?
- The California Franchise Tax Board telephone number is 1-888-635-0494.
- Select Option 1 for “Existing Organization”
- Select Option 1 for “Receiving a Notice for Balance Due”
- Select Option 2 “If you do not agree with the amount due or you believe you received a notice in error”
- This will get you directly into the queue. You can wait on hold or leave a voicemail for a callback. Believe it or not, the state will actually call you back.
The California Franchise Tax Board also provides service via its website. You can create an account and manage your payments at https://www.ftb.ca.gov/.