Here are the steps you need to take to reach a real person on the phone at the Social Security Administration.
- Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
- Social Security cards and birth dates for those who you are calling about.
- Any letters or notices the SSA sent you
- The SSA telephone number is 1-800-772-1213, as of March 31st, 2020 they are available from 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, you will be directed to the main menu.
- A prompt will ask you what your inquiry is about. Say “Speak to a Representative”.
- The prompt will say “You’d like to speak to someone, right?” Say “Yes”.
- A new prompt will notify you of the SSA privacy act. Once you’ve listed to the prompt, say “Continue”.
- The final prompt will ask you for your Social Security Number (SSN). Once you have entered your SSN, you will be directed to a representative. If they are busy, a new prompt will give you the option to wait for a representative to answer or leave a call back number.
Access Your SSA Account Online
Many of the SSA services are available online. To access information about your account, go to https://www.ssa.gov/. Once you have created an account you will be able to view information from your Social Security record, including earnings history and estimates of your retirement, disability and survivors benefits. They also have a message portal where you are able to view copies of any notices sent to you.