How to Change Your Mailing Address With the IRS


It is always a good practice to ensure your address on file with the IRS is up-to-date.

Your mailing address is the ONLY way the IRS has to communicate with you. If they ever need to contact you (or send you a stimulus check), they will do so via snail mail.

There are three convenient methods you can use to change your address.

  1. Complete a Form 8822 and mail it directly to the IRS.
  2. File your tax return.
  3. Call the IRS.

Complete a Form 8822 and mail it directly to the IRS.

  • You can use Form 8822 to notify the Internal Revenue Service if you changed your home mailing address.
  • If this change also affects the mailing address for your children who filed income tax returns, complete and file a separate Form 8822 for each child. If you are a representative signing for the taxpayer, attach to Form 8822 a copy of your power of attorney.
  • Generally, it takes 4 to 6 weeks to process a change of address.
  • The instructions are included on page two of Form 8822. Page two also tells you where you will need to mail your completed and signed form. If you need to change your business mailing address or location, use Form 8822-B.

File your tax return.

  • If you have not completed your most recent tax return, file it now and be sure to include your new address. The IRS will update your records to match the address on your return.

Call the IRS.

  • Collect all of your personal identifying information including your full name, date of birth, filing status, social security number (or employer identification number for a business), old address, and new address and call the IRS directly.
  • Follow these instructions to reach a live agent at the IRS.

What Is IRS Code 409A?

IRS Code 414: Retirement Plans and Your Taxes

Amy Northard, CPA

Amy Northard, CPA

Founder of The Accountant for Creatives®
+ taxes + bookkeeping + consulting
+ Hang out with me over on Instagram!

Are things like taxes & bookkeeping getting in the way of your creative time? Let's Chat!
Bookkeeping & Tax Tips
Sign up for free tax tips and advice sent straight to your inbox!
By clicking on the submit button, you agree with our Privacy and Terms Policy.